Saturday, July 4, 2009

The embarassment of Ezcema, the pain of Psoriasis

I was washing my hair last night and thought over the fact that I had not posted this yet. I have patches of Psoriasis at the base of my scalp and some Eczema on my hands. Several years ago, I was talking to a coworker about something completely different and she noticed that I was repeatedly scratching my palm. Being a mother, she didn't ask to see my hands, she just grabbed them.

'Girl, that's Eczema. You need to get that treated.'

Eczema was something I had heard of, but didn't really understand. I went to the doctor's office two days later and was diagnosed. I told her something my coworker suggested to me and the doctor concurred. I went home, did the treatment, and haven't had a problem since.

What did both my coworker and the doctor suggest? Wash with tar coal shampoo. If this doesn't sound familiar, Neutrogena makes one called T-Gel. Here's a list of just how many different types there are: http://www.drugs.com/cons/t-gel-topical.html. I seriously believe you can find it anywhere, which is even better!

It's great because there are many generic forms so it's fairly inexpensive and it really works! I use it 2 to 3 times a week and I haven't had a problem with E or P in about three years. I also have a fragrance allergy and I really rather detest overly flowery smelling products. T-Gel is sort of medicinal, but very clean smelling. Of course, it also has the added benefit of preventing dandruff and contributes to a healthy scalp. A healthy scalp is always a good thing.

Here's to not itching! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment